Introduction to Nonwovens Technology
Authors: Subhash K. Batra, Ph. D., Behnam Pourdeyhimi, Ph.D.
Foreword by John W. S. Hearle
- Provides a unified and in-depth treatment of raw materials, web formation, bonding and melt-extrusion technologies
- Includes background information on heat, heat transfer and polymer physics
- Covers technologies that are proprietary, new or not widely known
- Introduces the concept of integrative technologies to produce multi-functional products
- Explains raw material properties and process parameter interactions
- Designed as a textbook and professional book with problems and exercises
The processing of nonwovens depends on a range of technologies, some adapted from the textile and paper industries, others developed uniquely for nonwovens production. The present volume provides a systematic step-by-step explanation of virtually all processes that integrate relevant raw materials into finished nonwovens for different end uses. In comprehensive terms, the book explains the connection between the structure of nonwovens and the specialized, as well as still evolving, technologies used to produce them—from simple roll goods to nanoscale webs and fiberwebs. The unified treatment in the book is meant to serve the needs of engineering and technology students. For students and instructors, the text also offers reviews of basic chemistry, polymer physics and heat transfer concepts, which are linked to processing and design information. Problems and exercises are presented for classroom study and individual practice. The book can also be used profitably as a self-teaching tool by professionals working in or new to the nonwovens industry.
From the Foreword by John Hearle
"In comparison with other publications, the present book covers the great diversity of nonwovens and emphasizes how new types of nonwovens can be created through the use of novel fibres. This approach integrates many aspects of fibres and textile structures that are not associated with the conventional forms of nonwovens, which were established over the last fifty years. In this sense the book summarizes existing technical knowledge and suggests ways of going beyond it."
View Table of Contents
Member: $149 List:$169