Influence of Backwater on Bagasse Pulping, 1990 Pulping Conference Proceedings

In TNPL, bagasses is stored by wet pile technology. Bagasses used for either chemical or mechanical pulping is at about 35% consistency, the remaining 65% being the water of 4.0 to 4.5 pH containing dissolved sugars. Use of Central channel water – rich in sugars and of high acidity as diluent adversely affects the optical properties and quality of pulp. Studies were undertaken to evaluate the influence of backwater on bagasses pulping including optical properties. Different ways of neutralising the residual sugars like, use of alkaline backwaters, washing and also the effect of the paper machine backwater of similar pH as that of bagasse handling backwater were studied in detail. Neutralisation as well as washing the bagasse improves the optical properties and the quality of the pulp.

Author: Rao, N.R.M., Subramanian, S., Reddy, K.P., Gnanasekaran, K.
Influence of Backwater on Bagasse Pulping, 1990 Pulping Conf
Influence of Backwater on Bagasse Pulping, 1990 Pulping Conference Proceedings

New Releases

TAPPI PRESS Catalog eBook 2024

Experience the Power of Publications in the 2024 TAPPI Press Catalog



Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition  

Sponsored by the Recovery Boiler Program R&D Subcommittee of the American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) and published by TAPPI Press.



Handbook For Pulp and Paper Technologists (The SMOOK Book), Fourth Edition

The best-selling text to introduce the entire technology of pulp and paper manufacture.



Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers  

A project of the Yankee Dryer Safety & Reliability Committee.



Check our newest additions.

TAPPI Press offers some of the most in-depth resources and references for the forest products and related industries. 

See More


Available for Purchase – Conference Proceedings

TAPPI maintains a record of key conference papers, presentations, and other conference publications, available for purchase in a variety of formats.

See More